A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I forgot all about Amnesia

I was looking through some of my older writings as I wanted to share a poem I wrote about the transition from winter to spring when I lived in Russia.

I discovered some song lyrics I wrote a few years after that when I was attending seminary in Columbia, South Carolina.

I gave the lyrics to my friend who put them to music and performed the song at a chapel service. We had been studying the prophets in one of our classes, and I decided to write a song summarizing one of the theme's of the prophets the cycle of rebellion of Israel. In the second part of the song I transitioned from Old Testament Israel to modern day America. This was written and performed in 1996 so the references are dated.

Looking it over 14 years later, I am not quite sure how I feel about the song. Thought I'd give it a spin here.

Amnesia
Word by David Roller
Music by Jeff Six
Israel, oh Israel those who bear my name
Why do you act like other gods and I are just the same
Israel oh Israel what's it going to be?
What do I have to do before you'll turn to me?
You were my chosen people in my promised place
Made to be a blessing, you trampled on my grace.
Israel oh Israel I cry over you
Why do you keep forgetting what you're supposed to do
Israel oh Israel what's it going to be
What do I have to do before you'll turn to me?
Israel oh Israel I still wait for you
I am your God and Father worship what is true
Israel oh Israel it's time to make your choice
Serve your own desires or listen to my voice
Israel never returned, I sent them away
They serve as a witness, even to this day
America, America land of the free
Free to do just as you please, you walk away from me
America, America what's it going to be?
What do I have to do before you'll turn to me?
Did I give you freedom just to gain your wealth?
You were free to worship, you exalt yourself.
America, America, I cry over you
Why do you keep forgetting what you're supposed to do?
America, America what's it going to be?
What do I have to do before you'll turn to Me?
You've had riots and you've had wars but you would not turn
AIDS and Oklahoma City. Will you ever learn?
America, America, I still wait for you.
Remember your God and Father. Worship what is true.
America, America it's time to make your choice.
Serve your own desires or listen to My voice
Remember Israel!
Next Time: April Fool

1 comment:

Chick Hatchers said...

I don't think it's dated at all - equally as applicable today as it was when it was written. Sad, but true.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip