A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Monday, April 2, 2012

Boring, a nice place to visit.

 AS IN BORING

Monday April 2, 2012

I was a Southern Baptist Missionary in Khabarovsk Russia from late 1992 to late 1994.  I have been thinking about that chapter in my life more frequently recently, as a dear Russian friend of mine is in the states with his wife and I will see him for the first time in nearly 2 decades tomorrow.

Being a missionary, I spent time with other American missionaries when I was in a Russia.  Some of them were from an organization that was headquartered near Portland, Oregon.  The actual name of the town was boring.  No, not as I wasn't interested in the name.  The town's name was Boring. 

I had a lot of fun with that nugget.  I would talk about going into the Boring office.  Maybe settling down there some day and  meeting a Boring girl and making her my Boring wife  having some Boring kids and sending them to the boring schools.  Interestingly enough, I never got bored with the joke.

A few weeks ago I was watching the T.V. show, Homicide: Life on the Street.  In the show Alec Baldwin's brother Daniel plays a Detective who is partnered with a female detective played by Academy Award Winning (The Fighter) actress, Melissa Leo. 

In one episode Baldwin's character is telling Leo's that his wife is from Boring, Maryland.  He then goes into the same kind of Boring jokes that I used to engage in.

Check these out . . .

  •   Website with some interesting facts about Boring, MD.
  • Website describing Boring, OR as an exciting place to live.
Well I am done with this Boring Post.  Check out some other B posts in the A to Z Challenge by clicking here.







7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I kind of wish that I were from Boring. It would explain a lot of things, like the fact that I go to bed too early.

Misha Gerrick said...

I adore interesting place names like... well, Boring. :-D

kjmckendry said...

I wonder who cam up with that boring name! Great post!
I'm a fellow homeschooler! Stopping by from A-Z.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that Boring post was very interesting! Thanks for sharing it!

Chuck said...

I love town names you can have fun with. I live near Plano, TX and that has made for some funny comments over the years.

Kimberly said...

OMGosh, I grew up in OR and did not know there was a town called Boring! :)

Unknown said...

That is just cruel, fancy calling a town Boring. Possibly linked to mines or something? I grew up near a street called Knotto Bottom Way.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip